By Chef: Amber St. Peter.
Posted: September 17, 2015
Chocolate orange lovers, are you ever in for a treat. This creamy, rich, and decadent cheesecake combines your two loves, and…drumroll please….it’s actually made sans dairy, gluten, AND refined sugars. A perfect sweet treat for any special occasion!
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (use double boiler method to keep it raw)
- 3 cups soaked raw cashews
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2/3 cup agave — or liquid sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup grated dark chocolate as garnish, optional
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or strong blender. I use my Vitamix and it works like a charm everytime. You want the nuts and dates to the consistency of a sort of chunky, less malleable cookie dough.
- Scoop mixture into a 9″ springform pan (the easiest way) or line a cake or pie tin with waxed paper (less easy) and scoop it into that.
- Press the mixture into the sides and bottom of pan. Freeze to set, at least one hour or more.
For the cheesecake:
- After your cashews have soaked for at least an hour, throw them in your Vitamix, other blender or food processor. Add the freshly squeezed orange juice, agave, cocoa powder, salt, orange extract and coconut oil. Blend on high for about a minute, more if your machine needs it. The consistency will be that of a thick pudding, whipped and mostly pourable.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and pour cheesecake filling on top, tapping the pan several times on the counter to level the filling completely flat.
- Place the assembled cheesecake back in the freezer or in the refrigerator, at least 3 hours to set completely. Placing it in the freezer will result in a firmer, more ice cream like texture. Placing it in the fridge will leave it much softer and more like a custard.
- Once the cheesecake has set, remove it from the fridge/ freezer and top around outer edge (or anywhere you like really) with grated chocolate.