By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: June 12, 2012
A lively broccoli hemp slaw from Gena Hemshaw with a hefty dose of omega fatty acids from hemp seeds and sasha inchi oil! The dressing is an easy and delectable sweet mustard vinaigrette containing apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Braggs or tamari, a spoonful of stoneground mustard and dash of curry. If sasha inchi oil is unavailable to you try hemp seed, flax, avocado, olive, or a combination for a wide array of essential fatty acids. Using a food processor to break down the broccoli and cauliflower into smaller pieces is a great trick and makes eating these healthy and hearty vegetables so enjoyable!
- 3 heaping cups broccoli florets
- 3 heaping cups cauliflower florets
- 1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup hempseeds
- 2 tsp Bragg’s or Tamari
- 1 1/2 T sacha inchi oil (or flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil, or avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 T stoneground mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
1. Place the broccoli and cauliflower in a food processor and roughly process. Alternately, chop into small pieces with a big knife.
2. Transfer to a bowl and add chopped bell pepper, hemp seeds, and raisins.
3. Whisk together the ACV, tamari, maple syrup, mustard, curry, and oil. Pour over salad and serve. Flavors will marry and the salad will improve quite a bit after a day or so in the fridge.