By Chef: Brandi Doming
Posted: December 4, 2013
If looking at the picture of this mouth watering creation by Brandi Doming of The Vegan 8 conjures mental images of an ingredient list a mile long you’ll be pleasantly surprised – it is actually super simple to make! A creamy and rich dairy-free cheesecake filling made with raw cashews, fruit juices, and swirls of cinnamon infused maple syrup (or agave) tops a crust of almonds, dates, and yes, even MORE delicious cinnamon. You will love slicing into, devouring, and sharing this decadent dessert with your loved ones!
- 2 heaping cups blanched sliced almonds (8 oz, 227 g) (or regular sliced almonds for raw version)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 1/2 — 3 tablespoons agave (or maple syrup or coconut nectar)
- 2 heaping cups raw whole cashews (10 oz, 280 g)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup agave or pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
1. Prepare the crust first by adding the almonds and cinnamon to a food processor. Process until a fine flour forms. Add the agave, starting with 2 1/2 tablespoons and add more if needed, and process until it clumps together. It should stick together when pressed between your fingers.
2. Pour in a lightly greased tart pan. Spread out evenly, pressing flat with your fingers and working your way just slightly up the sides. Set aside.
3. Add all of the filling ingredients to a high powered blender and blend until very smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides as necessary. If you do not have a high powered blender, soak the cashews in a bowl covered with water for about 5 hours. Proceed with the next steps.
4. Pour the filling over the crust, making sure to scrape all the liquid out of the blender.
5. In a small cup, add the swirl ingredients and stir until well mixed with a fork. Drop spoonfuls all over the filling and gently swirl with a butterknife. Don’t overdo it or you will lose the swirl effect.
6. Place in the freezer to chill overnight or for several hours until solid and firm. Remove 10-15 minutes before serving and slicing. Place immediately back in the freezer to retain it’s shape.
Ingredients for nuts have also been given in weight measurements for accurate results.