By Chef: Juli Novotny
Posted: February 9, 2017
This recipe is bursting with flavor and freshness! Softened kelp noodles do an amazing job of soaking up the delicious flavors within this mint and ginger pesto sauce. While most pestos tend to be heavy and oily, this is a much lighter variation with an Asian flavor influence. Enjoy!
For the pesto
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil (I used lime flavored but you don’t have to)
- 1 tsp ginger, minced or chopped
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 3-4 whole garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fresh jalapeño, chopped (or less if you don’t like spice, but use a little for flavor)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
For the Noodle Salad (or other crunchy veggies):
- 1/2 cup raw carrots, chopped or shaved or julienned
- 1/2 cup raw corn kernels, cut straight from the cob
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1, 12 oz package, kelp noodles
- 1 tsp baking soda
For the pesto:
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients
- Process the ingredients by pulsing for about 1 minute. Scrape sides of the bowl. Set aside pesto.
For the noodles + veggie
- In a medium sized bowl mix the kelp noodles with juice of just half a lemon and the baking soda. This will soften the noodles.
- Using your hands you’ll want to mix the noodles well until coated in lemon and baking soda. Set them aside while you prep the rest of the dish. Keep checking on them and mixing by hand so they continue to soften. When ready, you’ll want to rinse them first.
- After you are finished prepping the carrots and corn, add the avocado oil, sea salt, and juice of half a lemon. Toss until well coated. Add this mixture to the noodles (don’t forget to rinse them first and dry them).
- Top with the mint pesto. Serve. Garnish with more mint and almonds.