By Chef: Christina Ross
Posted: March 12, 2015
In this decadent recipe cashews, irish moss, and coconut oil combine to act as an all-vegan replacement for a traditional dairy-laden cheesecake base. The delicate flavors of matcha and mint are perfectly paired with the richness, depth and bitter-sweetness of the raw chocolate crust and garnish. So yummy and perfectly appropriate for all seasons.
- 2 c. cashews , soaked and drained
- 1⁄2 oz. Irish moss, soaked and drained
- 1⁄2 c. agave nectar
- 1⁄2 c. almond milk
- 1⁄2 c. melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. coconut butter , softened
- 2 tsp. matcha powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean powder or vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 c. melted cacao butter
- 1⁄4 c. cacao powder
- 3 tbsp. agave nectar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
To make the crust:
- Place the almonds, cacao powder, hemp seeds, agave nectar, and mint extract in a food processor and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed between your fingers. Press the crust into the bottom of a 9″ springform pan. Set aside and make the filling.
To make the filling:
- Place the cashews, Irish moss, agave nectar, almond milk, coconut oil, coconut butter, matcha powder, and vanilla bean powder in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the filling over crust and place the cake in the freezer for 2–4 hours. Meanwhile, make the chocolate garnish.
- To make the chocolate garnish: In a small bowl, whisk together the cacao butter, cacao powder, agave nectar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Set the bowl in the freezer until the chocolate hardens all the way through. When the cake is firm enough to cut, remove from the freezer. Grate the chocolate garnish on top before serving. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.