By Chef: Alexandra Dawson
Posted: April 16, 2015
This raw, vegan and gluten free salad is not only bright and flavorful, but enhances the texture of the notoriously tough and bitter kale leaves by tenderly massaging them with a dash of sea salt and a few squeezes of lemon juice and vinegar. Although kale can seem coarse and prehistoric looking, don’t be intimidated. It can be truly delicious and is so healthy! As a nutritional powerhouse, kale is packed with iron, vitamin K, bone building calcium and magnesium, and is filled with fiber and sulfur, both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.
- 1/2 pound kale, stems removed then roughly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons nama shoyu or low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame tahini
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, rinse then dry the chopped kale, then sprinkle it with sea salt. Using your hands, thoroughly massage the salt into the damp kale. Allow kale to sit for at least 10 minutes so it can begin to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, nama shoyu and tahini until thoroughly combined. Pour the dressing over the massaged kale and toss to cover. Allow kale and dressing to marinate for 20-30 minutes, again to ensure the kale has broken down and is soft enough to eat.
- When ready to serve, transfer the kale to your favorite serving dish, toss with avocado, peppers and sesame seeds. Enjoy!