By Chef: Shernell Cooke
Posted: June 25, 2013
Beads of mangosteen fruit burst in the mouth with juicy sweetness after every bite of this delicious raw, vegan cashew and coconut based ice cream! Sweetened only with dates and lightly spiced with organic cardamom.
Mangosteen, often referred to as the queen of fruit, contains over 40 different compounds called xanthones which act as powerful antioxidants for our bodies. The bark, the leaves, as well as the juicy fruit have been used in various healing tonics by Native cultures and even mainstream medicine has begun to catch on to its disease preventing attributes. The anti-inflammatory and regenerative qualities of this fruit are truly amazing! it is a tropical fruit and can therefore be tricky to come across. Try your local Asian market, or substitute ripe pears in this recipe for a similar flavor.
- 12 medjool dates
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 11/2 cups cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3 cups water
- 6 open and scrapped mangosteens (pears or lychees would work)
1) Blend the first 6 ingredients in your high-speed blender (Vitamix/Blendtec)
2) Strain with a nut-milk bag, freeze in an ice- cream maker until semi frozen
3) Add in the mangosteen pods and serve.