By Chef: Heather Pace
Posted: October 6, 2016
If your day is just not complete without something sweet and crunchy to round it out, then this recipe is a great option for you. It’s high in nutrition yet extremely low glycemic. Enjoy! Feel free to mix and match ingredients to tailor it to your preferences.
Ingredients group 1
- 1/4 cup melted coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower butter (or nut butter of choice)
- 2 tablespoons ground xylitol*
- A few drops of stevia, to taste
- 2 pinches of salt
Ingredients Group 2
- 1/2 cup raw or toasted coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Whisk together the first set of ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the second set of ingredients and stir to combine. If the mixture gets too cold it will start to firm up so just set the bowl over a pot of hot water for a few minutes while stirring to loosen.
- Spread the mixture (as thick or thin as you want) on a parchment paper lined pan. Chill in the fridge or freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Break into pieces and start snacking!
For an extra special touch, I drizzled them with dark chocolate. Mmmmm :)) *Xylitol is a sweetener made from birch trees or corn cobs. It is also found in small amounts in many fruits and vegetables and is even produced in our own bodies. It is low in calories in has no impact to blood sugar. Oh and it actually prevents tooth decay! You can buy it ground/powdered or grind it yourself in a coffee grinder.