By Chef: Vanessa Vickery
Posted: May 25, 2017
This coconut rough is one of the easiest healthy chocolate treats that you can make. It only takes 5 minutes to make and around 30 – 60 minutes to set. It does not get much easier than that. By using essential oils in this recipe it is easy to switch up the flavors. You can use orange like in this version here, or swap that out for peppermint.
- 1 + 1/2 cups shredded coconut (desiccated coconut also works well)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (depending how sweet you want your chocolate)
- 10-12 drops food grade wild orange essential oil
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on low heat. Once melted, remove from heat, add the maple syrup, whisking briskly until well combined. Then add the cacao powder, stirring until well mixed through.
- Place the shredded coconut and wild orange essential oil into the saucepan and stir through the chocolate mixture. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 30 — 60 minutes to set.
- Slice in desired sized pieces and serve. I recommend storing in the freezer to keep it firm.