By Chef: Christina Ross
Posted: January 27, 2014
With this crowd pleasing recipe by Christina Ross of Love-Fed you can fully enjoy a soft pretzel dipped in cheddar jalapeno sauce all the while avoiding flour, dairy, sugar and processed salt! Yes, your eyes have not deceived you. Scroll down to discover how to make raw vegan soft pretzels 3 different ways: topped with an “everything mix” of seeds, garlic and onion, rolled in powdered cinnamon and sugar, and a yummy cheesy cheddar jalapeno flavor. Enjoy on your next “game day”!
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 4 tablespoons liquid sweetener I used (coconut nectar)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Everything Mix — for coating
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
Cinnamon Sugar Powder Mix — for coating
- 11/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp coconut crystals finely ground
Cheddar Jalapeño Flavor
- 1 original batter mix recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped jalapeno
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Process sunflower seeds and flax meal together until a flour forms.
2. Add in salt and while machine is spinning add in sweetener.
3. Once mixture forms into a ball stop it and remove the ball of dough. Press the dough together, roll it into a ball and cut it in quarters.
4. On a counter top lined with parchment paper roll out each quarter of dough into long strands, if dough gets to long for your surface cut it in half. Roll out the strands of dough into 1/2 inch deep by 1 foot long strands. Roll the ends of each strand a little thinner than the rest (this will create the criss cross center of the pretzel).
5. Take the strand and make a u shape bring the left strand down to connect to the bottom of the u and then cross over the right side.
6. Gently press the center to the bottom and continue making pretzel shapes with remaining dough. Will make 4 large pretzels.
1. Whisk together and coat pretzels in this mix.
2. Coat by placing pretzel face down into bowl of seasoning mix press firmly and set on plate.
Cinnamon Sugar Powder
1. Grind down in a coffee grinder or spice mill and coat pretzels in the powder.
For the cheddar jalapeño
1. Process with lid on until it forms into a ball aprox a few seconds.
**Cheesy sauce is made from soaked cashews, red bell pepper, jalapeño, lemon juice, sea salt and nutritional yeast – simply blend and serve.