By Chef: Ella Leché
Posted: November 23, 2016
Chocolate almond lovers, get ready. Here is a delicious, quick and easy snack or dessert that’s gluten-free, vegan, paleo and low-sugar/ refined-sugar-free.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup almonds or almond flour
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder + extra for coating
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur (a cognac brandy would also be great), optional
- 1-2 tablespoons hot water
- Place all of the nuts in a food processor and grind until crumbs form.
- Add the dates, vanilla extract, cacao powder, salt and the liqueur, if using, and continue processing until fine crumbs form.
- Check the mixture with your hands and press to check if the mixture sticks between your fingers. If it’s too crumbly, add 1 tablespoon of hot water at a time and mix again, and check again.
- Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture onto the palm of your hands and roll into walnut-size balls. Continue with all the mixture.Enjoy as is, or…
- Sprinkle extra cacao powder on a plate or parchment paper and roll the balls around to coat all over. Enjoy as is, or…
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set. They are great when they harden a little.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Or freeze for up to 1 month for a quick and easy to grab-and-go snack 🙂