By Chef: Lucie Javorska
Posted: March 3, 2016
This bright green healthy pesto bursting with flavor will take your meals to a whole new level. And all that without the saturated fat and cholesterol you normally find in pesto. Try tossing it with fresh zucchini, cucumber, or kelp noodles. It also works great as a base in sandwiches in place of mayo, butter or cream cheese. It’s perfect on pizza too or even as salad dressing. The possibilities are endless.
- 2 cups (50g) fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup (50g) pine nuts
- ¼ cup (30g) nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or a high speed blender.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to one week.
The pesto can also be frozen (I like to do that in an ice cube tray, to be able to adjust the amount I’m adding to dishes very easily. Smaller chunks like that melt much faster too.) Makes about 1 cup pesto.