By Chef: Kristen Suzanne
Posted: January 5, 2011
Squishy, sweet raw date filling surrounded by a slightly crunchy top and bottom from ground nuts. Perfect! When I shared it with my mom, she couldn’t believe how closely it resembled the old version. Warm these up in the dehydrator for a warm, gooey consistency. What a treat!
Yield: 1 8X8 glass baking dish
Date Filling Ingredients:
- 25-30 medjool dates, pitted*
- 1/4-1/2 cup soak water (from the dates)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup Rapadura** (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raw coconut oil
- pinch Himalayan crystal salt
Date Filling Instructions:
1) Place the pitted dates in a bowl with water to soak them for about a half hour. *If your dates are large, you can use 25 and if some of them are smaller, then use a few more.
2) Once the dates are soaked, place them in a food processor, fitted with the «S» blade, along with 1/4 cup of the soak water.
3) Process until smooth, adding a little more water as needed. Set aside in a bowl, while you make the crumble.
1) Place all of the crumble ingredients in a food processor, fitted with the «S» blade
2) process until it starts to stick together a bit when pressed gently between two of your fingers.
1) Take a little more than half of the crumble mixture and press it firmly into the bottom of your glass baking dish.
2) Spread the date filling on top.
3) Sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the date filling, and very gently press it.
If you have a dehydrator, now is a great time to use it. Place the Date Bars in it and dehydrate them at 115 degrees F for about an hour. Enjoy! Store leftover Date Bars in your refrigerator.
** Rapadura is not raw. It’s organic, whole cane sugar that adds a lovely depth of sweetness to the recipe. If you’d like the recipe to be all raw, simply omit the Rapadura.