By Chef: Hannah Terry-Whyte
Posted: May 18, 2012
We love this simple recipe for soft, sweet, gooey coconut date treats! This is the amped up version of Hannah’s original date cashew energy treats with even more coconut flavor! They are so easy to make and are perfect for a mid-day pick me up at work or as a healthy treat even your children will enjoy. And they look so pretty! Hannah from Wayfaring Chocolate says, “My grandma’s first words upon trying these energy treats were ‘Mmmm’ , ‘They taste a bit like sweetened condensed milk!’, and ‘Delicious’. I hope you like them too.”
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup fresh dates, pitted (Medjool dates are best)
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- extra desiccated coconut, to roll
1. Place the cashews in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add coconut flour, dates, and salt and process until the mixture is clumping together.
2. Add the desiccated coconut and vanilla and pulse again to combine.
3. Pour about 1/2 cup of extra desiccated coconut onto a plate. Roll the date nut mixture into balls the size of your choosing, and then roll these balls in the coconut to coat. Store in the fridge or freezer, but do let them soften a bit before eating if you store them in the freezer. The flavours sing more at fridge or room temperature. And we like singing, don’t we?