By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: September 16, 2014
A tasty, light and absolutely refreshing side dish by Gena Hemshaw of Choosing Raw. If you avoid gluten but miss making cooked grain dishes you can easily sub in cauliflower for a gluten-free and raw alternative. A simple pulse or two in the food processor will break down your cauliflower florets into a consistency that resembles rice. Adding olives, tomato, capers, lemon, herbs and cold pressed oil brings on a plethora of delicious flavor your taste buds will thoroughly enjoy.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 2 cups heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, chopped (try to remove as many seeds and moisture as you can)
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
To make the cauliflower rice, you can either grate the cauliflower on a box grater to form rice-like grains, or you can process it in two batches in your food processor, pulsing with the S blade till it resembles rice. When you’re finished, transfer the rice to a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the olives, tomatoes, capers, lemon juice, oil, and oregano. Give everything a toss.
3. Serve, garnished with some fresh chives, if desired.