By Chef: Callie England
Posted: November 10, 2011
This is a simple and sweet way to making your own candy treats. For variation, try mixing it up with other citrus fruits, such as lemons, grapefruits and I bet even limes would work well!
- 10 ripe oranges
- 2.5 C organic (preferably turbinado) sugar
- 5 C water
1. Create 9 slits from top to bottom around each orange – like a beach ball (see images below). Gently peel the rind from each section and julienne thinly. Set aside.
2. Place rinds in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 10 minutes, remove from heat and drain.
3. Place 5 cups of water and 2.5 cups of sugar in pot and bring to a boil. Stirring occasionally to make sure the sugar is dissolved. Add strips to boiling syrup, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently until strips are translucent. About 1 hour.
4. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a wire rack, with parchment paper underneath.
5. optional: roll strips in additional sugar. Personally, I skipped this step.
6. Arrange in a single layer on a wire rack, and leave to dry – Mine took about 24 hours given the overall reduction in sugar.