By Chef: Amber Crawley
Posted: December 7, 2012
A rich, buttery, antioxidant laden recipe with blueberries, vanilla and homemade coconut butter straight from Amber’s fantastic recipe book Practically Raw. This is a sugar-free recipe that utilizes stevia’s natural no-glycemic sweetness. Use a bit of honey, agave or coconut sugar along with the stevia if this suites your fancy! If you have some Dastony Coconut Butter on hand you can use this by replacing the shredded coconut with 1 cup of the butter, skipping the initial blending step.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup fresh (or thawed frozen) wild blueberries (preferably organic)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 packet stevia (or 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice)
1) Place the unsweetened shredded coconut in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth and buttery. In a Vitamix or Blendtec, this will only take about a minute (use the tamper to move the mixture downward). In a food processor, this will take 5 to 10 minutes; be patient!
2) When the coconut has turned smooth and buttery, add the blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and blend until completely smooth.
3) Taste for sweetness, and if desired, add the stevia (or other sweetener, if you prefer) and blend again until smooth.
4) Transfer to a glass jar to store. The butter will keep at room temperature for up to two days; for longer storage, keep in the refrigerator and let soften at room temperature before enjoying.