By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: August 6, 2014
In a salad rut? Pull yourself right out of there today with this delectable kale salad by Gena Hemshaw of Choosing Raw!
Fresh curly kale chopped finely with red bell pepper then dressed generously with a tangy-sweet blood orange and evoo vinaigrette dressing. Garnish with segments of fresh blood orange and almond slivers. If you don’t tend to love raw kale salad this recipe may change your life (and taste buds) forever. ENJOY!
- 1 small bunch (about 8 leaves, stems removed) curly kale, washed, dried, and chopped
- 4 blood oranges
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (hemp oil is also great, but will have a more distinctive flavor, whereas olive will be more neutral)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1) Remove the skins and pith from the oranges. Cut three of them into segments and set the fourth aside for dressing.
2) Combine the non-segmented orange, the olive oil, the lemon, the maple syrup, and the salt and pepper in a blender and blend to combine. If your blender isn’t very strong, you can use 3 tbsp blood orange juice in place of the whole orange. Set dressing aside.
3) Place the kale in a large mixing bowl. Massage the vinaigrette into the kale with your hands. You can use as much as you like; I like a very well-dressed kale salad!
4) Add the sectioned oranges and almonds and pepper to the salad. Re-mix, and serve.