By Chef: Ulyana Michailov
Posted: May 29, 2013
Ulyana Michailov of Kitchen fairy made a light berry inspired mousse with the magical ingredient Irish Moss. It’s amazing. Irish moss is a seaweed that once soaked and blended well into a mixture can cut down the fat portion of your dessert.
Yield: 2 — 3
- 1 cup almond, cashew milk or rice milk for nut alternative
- 1/2 cup well-packed, chopped, soaked Irish moss
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave or coconut nectar
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries or blueberries
- 1/4 tsp stevia extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Blend the milk with the Irish moss* until completely smooth, no lumps.
2. Add the sweetener of your choice, plus the strawberries and vanilla.
3. Pour in a dish and set in the fridge for around 4-6 hours or over night.
*A quicker way of making desserts out of Irish moss, rather than making a gel initially you can blend it straight into the milk base of choice. However, if you are making a cake then you’ll need to blend it into a gel first.
The proportions for the gel are 1 ounce soaked (6-12 hours) Irish moss blended into 1 1/2 cups water.