By Chef: Ingrid Weithers-Barati
Posted: January 7, 2011
Pink lady apples work perfectly in this recipe for an easy raw apple pie. Use any type of apple available, sweet, sour, or a combination of both will work great!
- 2 cups almonds, soaked, dried
- 8 cardamom pods, seeds removed from pod [discard pod shells], crush seeds
- 1/3 cup agave
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 small apples, peeled, cored, chopped [about 4 cups]
- 2 tablespoon agave
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons agave
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1. Place almonds and cardamom seeds into a food processor and processor until ground to a fine grainy consistency.
2. Add the agave, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Process to combine ingredients into a ball.
3. Remove the crust, scraping the side and bottom of the processor bowl to remove any remaining crust.
4. Place the crust on a clean cool flat working surface or cutting board. Use a rolling pin to roll out the crust thin, about ¼ inch thick. Shape as desired.
5. Carefully lift the crust from working surface with a spatula. Reserve in a covered container.
1. Mix the chopped apples, agave, lemon juice, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
2. Set aside in covered container.
1. Stir the agave and cinnamon until well combined.
To Assemble And Serve
1. Place crust on individual plates, top with apples, and drizzle the cinnamon sauce over the apples.
2. Garnish each pie with reserved lemon zest.