By Chef: Amanda Maguire
Posted: February 14, 2014
A creamy fruit smoothie rich in anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids from flax and walnuts along with a powerful dose of antioxidants from blueberries. Ground cinnamon gives it a bit of spicy warmth while molasses adds another layer of flavor, a touch more sweetness, and blood-building iron.
- 1 cup homemade walnut milk*
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries (organic if possible)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- handful of ice cubes (optional)
1) Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
2) Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!
To make the homemade walnut milk, soak 1 cup of raw walnuts in water in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. Once soaked, drain and rinse them well and add them to the blender with 4 cups of filtered water. Blend on high for 1 minute or until the walnuts are very finely ground. Strain through a nut milk bag if you like, although I usually skip this step when I use walnuts. Walnut milk can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.