By Chef: Julie Van den Kerchove
Posted: January 21, 2016
These Almond Joy Protein Balls are completely free from refined sugars, yet they taste amazingly sweet thanks to the addition of nature’s candy: dates! They are also really high in protein and healthy fats – great if you want to build stronger muscles and boost your energy levels. Enjoy!
- 1 cup of almond flour
- ½ cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of soft dates, pitted
- 2 ½ tablespoons of raw cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite protein powder
- ½ teaspoon of chia seeds, soaked in 1 tablespoon of water for
- 5 minutes (this will turn into chia ‘gel’)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- Extra almond flour for garnish
- Combine the chia seeds with the water in a glass or small mixing bowl. Stir well and set aside. This will turn into chia ‘gel’ and act as a binder.
- Put the almond flour, shredded coconut and dates in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until well combined.
- Add the cacao nibs, protein powder, chia gel, vanilla extract and salt in the food processor. Process again.
- Once the dough is ready, shape it into small protein balls by using a cookie scoop or measuring spoon. Roll the dough into small balls and garnish them with any toppings you like (I used almond flour).
JULIE’S TIPS & TRICKS: • These Almond Joy Protein Balls will stay fresh for at least 3 weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. • If you prefer a stronger chocolate flavor, replace the cacao nibs with raw chocolate chips or add raw cacao powder to taste.